Thursday, March 31, 2011

Those Green Smoothies

I've been eating a mostly natural foods diet for some time...over the years I have tried a number of eating styles, from "meat and potatoes" to vegetarian, and enjoyed them all. I guess you might say that I truly believe that "variety is the spice of life". 

As spring was quickly approaching, my teenaged daughter and I began to feel that a change from the heavy foods of winter was in order.We decided to join a workshop being offered on the net called 30 Day Vegan. http://beautythatmoves.typepad.com/
Heather has been a wonderful teacher throughout the month, her knowledge of nutrition and her generous sharing of information and recipes has been incredible. 
My daughter and I are feeling so revitalized and well-fed that we have decided to continue on the Vegan path for, well, who knows how long...it just feels right and good, so were sticking with it.  Do I miss the eggs, cheese and fish/meat? Nope, not yet.
One of my favorite discoveries this month has been the Green Smoothie! So simple to make, it tastes good and makes you feel great. There are probably many ways to make one, the recipe that I've been using is this:

Kale, (raw) a good handful, tough stem removed. You may also add some raw spinach
1 apple,peeled and sliced
1 banana
1 cup frozen blueberries
2 tbls. orange juice concentrate 
1 tsp. ground flaxseed
1 1/2 cups water
 
kale, apple, banana !
frozen blueberries
orange juice concentrate, water, ground flaxseed
remove center stem from kale, slice apples and bananas, add everything else...


Blend until smooth.



Yum, it may not look like much, but I'm loving it, cheers!







         

No comments:

Post a Comment