Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Mother's Day Reflection



It's been a busy week, sorry that I'm just getting around to posting about the events of Mother's Day.
One of the most surprising things to me in life has been the fact that somehow I managed to give birth to and raise three daughters. Why do I say surprising? I guess it's because there was a time, pre-children of course, when I was someone who never imagined I might one day be a mother at all, being as wrapped up in my own life as I was. When I look back at the girl I was then I can only smile and be thankful that the fates worked out as they did.

I come from a close circle of wonderful women; mothers, grandmothers, sisters and  daughters, nieces and friends. We have a few good and brave men who have ventured into the family as well, but it seems that, these days, the women far outnumber the men!


This  Mother's Day I had the treat of sharing a delicious brunch with family that was expertly prepared by my daughter, Alex, and her friend, Colin. They are wonderful cooks, believe me when I tell you that this meal was exceptional! The menu consisted of a beautiful fruit salad and poached eggs Benedict on quinoa cakes topped with fresh baby spinach, tomato slices, hollandaise sauce made from scratch, and a sprinkling of chopped, new chives from the garden.  It was a day to put veganism aside for a time and enjoy the moment!
The experience of having such a meal served to me by one of my daughters was gratifying on so many levels, just a happy thing all around. 


* daffodils*

*adding toppings to quinoa cakes*



*Alex is making  hollandaise sauce*

*Yum*



Quinoa Cakes

1 cup red quinoa, well rinsed
2 cups water
1 onion, finely chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
Zest of one lemon, or to taste
Fresh chopped chives, to taste
Salt
Pepper


Add one cup of well-rinsed quinoa and two cups of cold water to saucepan, cover and bring to a boil. Turn down heat to low and cook until most of the water is absorbed. Remove from heat and cool.
Saute onions and peppers until lightly cooked, remove from heat to cool.
Add all ingredients together and shape into cakes. If quinoa doesn't seem sticky enough to hold together add a beaten egg. Place in oven at 400* and bake on oiled cookie sheet until the cakes are firm, about 30 minutes. (depending on how hot your oven cooks)
Poach two eggs per serving.
Top with baby spinach, slices of fresh tomato and pour hollandaise sauce over all. Sprinkle with chopped chives.

Hollandaise Sauce
2 Tbls. lemon juice
4 egg yokes
Dash or two of tabasco sauce
Pinch of salt
1 stick of butter

Seperate the eggs and add yokes only to blender. Add lemon juice, salt and Tabasco sauce. Pulse once or twice only. Melt the butter until it begins to bubble and pour hot butter into blender in a steady stream, blending on high speed. Blend only until mixed, pour over poached eggs Benedict immediately and sprinkle with chopped chives if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment