Friday, February 10, 2012

Sprouts

Sprouts are easy to make and most delicious when they are fresh. I use organic seed made specifically for sprout making that have been tested for pathogens. Look for them at your local health food store or online. If you are making your own sprouts at home, explore the web to be aware of the various choices available for growing sprouts safely.

 Today my focus will be the mung sprouts in the green bowl. I cover a cup of carefully washed beans with about an inch of water and soak them overnight. It's important to cover them with something to keep them in darkness while sprouting. This way the sprouts will remain white and tender.
Next morning I have drained off the water...they are already beginning to sprout!
Here is what I use to grow my sprouts in but they can be grown in any well drained container. I use a clean cotton cloth to line the stainless strainer and spread the soaked mungs into it. Be sure that the cloth does not have any laundry soap residue on it, a good rinse will fix that.
I fold the dampened cloth to enclose the soaked beans.
This is a container of rice I use to weight the beans as they grow. I read here that adding weight to the beans as they grow makes them grow thicker and longer. It seems to be working well for me.
Now they are ready to be placed in a dark place to grow! Remember that the beans must be rinsed well, without disturbing the placement of the beans, at least once or twice a day. Replace them back into their darkened spot after rinsing.
All tucked in to the top drawer of this chest.They grow quickly and within three to four days you will have sprouts that look like this.
The little green seed skins can be rinsed away with a bit of careful work.


Drain off excess water and store your sprouts in the refrigerator in a covered bowl.
Have them for dinner in a stir fry or on a salad.
Yum!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this Claire, I have been wondering why my sprouts were so short, now I know! Love the idea about sprouting them in a dark drawer too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it took me a few tries to get it right. Still trying to find a better way to remove all the little green seed coverings, maybe rinsing them with a stainless deep fry strainer would work? Good luck with the sprouts, though I already know that you have a talent for growing anything!

      Delete