Monday, April 4, 2011

On Driving and Striving



Yesterday I took an unexpected three hour drive to the mall and back. My daughter has a new driving permit and lately we have been driving together on Sunday afternoons. The drive begins by turning right or left at the bottom of our driveway and from there, we just go wherever our whim takes us. 
Gas prices being what they are these days, I'm usually much more conservative with my use of the family car, but...when daughters are learning to drive, we must go the distance!

It's a bit like setting out on a great expedition; we bring a good map, bottles of water, snacks, favorite music, a little cash. I've been tempted to add a crash helmet to the collection of stuff, just for fun, but I'm guessing that my daughter would not be amused and only roll her eyes and keep driving.
Kidding aside, it's been fun spending those hours with her each week, having a chance to talk, enjoy the scenery, notice how her driving  and confidence improve with each new journey.

This morning I was thinking about yesterday's drive when the verb, strive, came into my mind. According to Merriam Webster, to strive is"to devote serious effort or energy." It is when you set out to do something that is difficult, something that takes all of your attention, something you do when you try hard to reach a goal. Striving can take many forms, from learning to drive a car to getting the grades you want at school. It can be keeping your checkbook balanced or serving a nutritious meal to your family.  It can be all the small things you do every single day as a parent, though you may be too busy to realize it until you stop to reflect. I've decided that I'm all for striving.^^

Taken from the road by AP on her cell phone.
















No comments:

Post a Comment